The Vatican announced the confirmed schedule for Pope Francis’ apostolic visit to the United States this September, which includes stops in Washington, D.C., New York, and Philadelphia. Details of the Holy Father’s visit to Washington, D.C. are below.
Tuesday, September 22, 2015:
- Pope Francis will begin his pastoral visit to the United States with his arrival at Andrews Air Force Base in the afternoon.
Wednesday, September 23, 2015:
- Welcoming ceremony at the White House followed by a private meeting with President Obama.
- After meeting with President Obama at the White House, Pope Francis will drive a parade route between the Ellipse and a portion of the National Mall in the popemobile. (Click here for information on the parade route and other free events.)
- Mid-day prayer with the bishops of the United States at the Cathedral of Saint Matthew the Apostle.
- Mass in the afternoon on the east portico of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and the University Mall at The Catholic University of America. During the Mass, the pope will canonize Blessed Junipero Serra. (Click here for travel information and a listing of prohibited items.)
Thursday, September 24, 2015:
- Address joint meeting of the U.S. Congress in the morning.
- Visit St. Patrick’s Catholic Church in D.C. and meet with several clients of Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington in late morning.
- Blessing and brief remarks to the clients gathered at lunchtime for the St. Maria Meals Program of the Catholic Charities for the Archdiocese of Washington.
- Depart for New York City from Andrews Air Force Base.
Click here to learn about events that are free and open to the public.
We encourage you to visit this webpage regularly, as it will be updated as additional details are announced.
In the meantime, we invite you to sign up to receive papal visit updates via text or email!